It's such a hard question, and it's one that I can't give you the answer to. This is such a common problem in today's world, and a lot of times, instead of trying to find a solution, we give it up, saying, "Eh. There's no hope. It's not like I can change someone's mind."
So, maybe you're right. You might not be able to change their mind. It's hard to accept, but we can't make anyone believe anything, and it's asking a whole lot of someone to get them to believe in Jesus when they haven't grown up with Him and have no experiences. It's a lot to swallow. Unfortunately, "It's too hard" and "I can't" aren't really good excuses when you're dealing with the big guy himself. While one little thing you say may not change their entire outlook on life, it could. It's happened before and it'll happen again. So, it's worth a little extra effort on your part to try, and if it doesn't have any immediate effect, that's fine. Pray for them. God might have a better time for them. Consider this: You mention how thankful you are that God got you out of a bad situation, and you talk about how much better off you are now. They might laugh at you, or disagree, or even not say anything at all. But if they find themselves in the exact same situation you were in, and they remember what you said, and see how God is working in them? Be patient. Something you say may end up sinking in their thoughts, way deeper than they're ever going to delve, but then resurface at the right time. Trust His timing.
Something else to remember: Christians can seem like a pretty exclusive group from the outside. Don't be a part of that. Practice what you preach- don't be that person who parties on Saturday night and goes to church Sunday morning. There's no such thing as "I'm sorta Christian" or "I mean, I believe in God but I don't really live like that"- you're either in this or you're not. When it comes down to someone who is Atheist or from a different religion seriously looking at the Christian faith, hypocrisy is going to be the first thing to turn them away. You individually are the only one who can change that. The way you live, whether you go around quoting the Bible or not, can make such a huge impact on someone, and you may never know it. So when you think, "Atheists- how do I talk to them?" remember that there really isn't a them to it. God doesn't love them any less than He loves you. He created us all, we're all brothers and sisters in Christ. Accept Atheists as you would accept anyone else. The smallest gesture can make the biggest impact.
The smallest gesture can make the biggest impact.
No comments:
Post a Comment